Everyone wants a shining set of sparkling white teeth. However recently, yellow teeth have become a common problem, which can lead to serious confidence problems.
The home remedies that follow will help to restore your teeth back to their former whiteness.
It is best if you know the cause of the problem, from genetics, diet, tobacco, intake of excess fluoride level in water, taking certain treatments, ageing and poor oral health. Taking high doses of antibiotics, infections, climatic conditions and improper metabolism can also contribut.
Generally a tooth is made of 4 tissues – enamel is the strong white covering that protects the tooth and dentin supports the enamel. Both play an important role in color.
Some symptoms include: teeth discoloration, worn away enamel, yellow tints and pits on teeth, foul smell from the mouth, etc. Certain foods and drinks like tea, coffee, etc. will stain the enamel and break down this enamel and after time. If this enamel breaks down then it shows the yellow dentin underneath.
So, how to whiten teeth at home…?
There are many professional treatments available which are very expensive. Try these natural remedies with ingredients that can be found in the kitchen.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an age old remedy that has been effectively used to whiten teeth. However it has abrasive nature (alkaline) that clears the enamel of the teeth but also removes topical stains and plaque of the teeth.
If lemon juice is mixed with baking soda, it further wears down the teeth with its citric acid (in lemon juice) that in turn unlocks some of this calcium present in your enamel and helps to whitening the teeth.
– Stir baking soda, salt and lemon juice in a bowl to make a paste.
– Use this paste to brush your teeth.
– Again brush with normal toothpaste.
– Follow this remedy no more than once or twice a week.
– Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda, lemon juice and white vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.
– Apply this on the yellow teeth.
– Leave for 5 minutes.
– Rinse your mouth with water and then repeat this process regularly.
– Stir in 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of cold water.
– Use this as mouth wash 2 – 3 times a day.
– Continue doing this daily till you get rid of the problem.
– You can also add 1 ½ teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in this solution.
Strawberry is rich in vitamin C and has astringent property that breaks down the plaque which causes yellowness. Malic acid in strawberries removes stains and cleans your teeth. There are several ways to whiten teeth with strawberries:
– Cut a strawberry in half and sprinkle a pinch of baking soda on it.
– Rub on the teeth for few minutes.
– Rinse with water and continue doing this process regularly.
– A plain strawberry can also be used.
– Mash a strawberry to extract the juice.
– Apply this juice on the teeth and let it sit for a minute or two.
– Brush your teeth with regular toothpaste.
– Regular application will give you whiter teeth.
Salt acts as abrasive portion of paste to physically scrubbing away the stain – the baking soda reduces the acidity on the teeth and makes it more visibly white in appearance.
– Mash 3 strawberries finely to extract its pulp.
– Add a pinch of sea salt and ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
– Wipe out any extra saliva with a paper towel.
– Apply a generous portion of this paste on the teeth using the tooth brush.
– Leave for 15 minutes and then rise with water.
– Apply regularly.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial property which cures many gum diseases and kills oral cavities and whitens the teeth.
– Squeeze the juice from a fresh aloe vera leaf.
– Add vegetable glycerin and optionally baking soda, stir well to form a paste.
– Use this paste for cleaning your teeth.
– Leave this gel on the teeth for few minutes.
– Wash your mouth completely to remove the aloe vera gel.
– Regular follow this method to clear yellow sting on teeth.
Lemons are rich in vitamin C and have bleaching property that helps to get rid of the yellow discoloration. Acid in lemon damages the enamel and calcium, so don’t use without diluting.
– Rub lemon peel on teeth for a minute.
– Wash this with water and repeat this regularly to get white teeth.
– Mix 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and water.
– Stir it well and brush your teeth with this diluted lemon juice.
– Wash with water and then brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste.
– Repeat this process regularly.
– Mix salt and freshly squeezed lemon juice in a bowl.
– Apply it on the teeth and rub for few minues.
– Leave it on for few minutes and wash the mouth thoroughly with water.
– Follow this process daily for about 2 – 3 weeks.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar removes the stubborn stains on the teeth and kills the germs that affect the teeth. But make sure that not to use frequently as this damages the tooth enamel.
– Add 1 part of apple cider vinegar to 2 parts of water.
– Stir it well and use this to gargle for 2 – 3 minutes, but do not swallow.
– Brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste and then rinse with water.
– Or you can also mix this apple cider vinegar into your toothpaste.
Remember that you have to take good care of your teeth and there should be no need to use these remedies again.
Do you know any other remedies which worked for you? Please share them with us.
Related post: Homemade Natural Teeth Whitening Paste + Scrub Powder – EASY RECIPE!