Egg drop soup, it’s easy, light, takes less than 25 minutes to make, and is total comfort food. This is Asian recipe. For detailed directions look at the photos to guide you through the preparation.
Prep: 3 mins
Cook: 7 mins
Total: 10 mins
– 4 cups good-quality chicken stock
– 2 tablespoons cornstarch
– 1 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
– 2 large eggs
– 2 egg whites
– 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
– 3 green onions, sliced thin (about 1/4 cup sliced), plus extra for garnish
– 1/4 cup whole-kernel corn or creamed corn (optional)
– salt, to taste
– black pepper, to taste
– Whisk together chicken stock (chilled or room-temperature), cornstarch, ginger and garlic powder in a medium saucepan until combined and no lumps remain. Heat over high heat until boiling, stirring occasionally.
– Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and egg whites in a small measuring cup or bowl. (I find the measuring cup easier for pouring.)
– Once the broth reaches a boil, remove from heat. Then use a fork or whisk to stir the broth in a circular motion, while slowly pour the whisked eggs into the soup to create egg ribbons. Stir in the sesame oil, green onions and corn (optional) until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste, also adding a dash or two of more sesame oil if you’d like more of that flavor.
– Serve immediately, topped with additional green onions for garnish.