Take advantage of lazy days that roll into long evenings with our top 5 Easy Summer Dinners. With these recipes you will make sure your family is eating healthy meals without you having to spend all day in the kitchen.
1. Grilled Turkey with Corn, Tomato & Sweet Pepper Salsa
Easy to make, more easy to eat!
1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 pounds turkey cutlets
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a large bowl, stir together tomatoes, corn, red pepper, cilantro, jalapeno, olive oil, lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Heat grill to medium-high. Season the turkey with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper.
3. Grill turkey about 2 minutes per side or until cooked through.
4. Serve warm or at room temperature with the salsa and extra lime wedges.
2. Tortellini, Spinach and Mushrooms in Wine-Butter Sauce
A simple pan sauce and fresh vegetables dress up family-favorite cheese tortellini.
1/2 pounds refrigerated three-cheese tortellini
6 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
1/3 cup oil-packed dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach or baby spinach
Ground nutmeg (optional)
1. Prepare tortellini according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in wine, tomatoes, basil, salt, cayenne and reserved pasta water.
3. Simmer 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in remaining butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until melted.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in tortellini and spinach until spinach is just wilted. Serve immediately. If desired, lightly sprinkle with nutmeg before serving.
3. Fresh Herb Tuna Salad
Showers of fresh herbs and the teeniest smidgen of curry powder wake up classic tuna salad.
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh tarragon
1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
Dash black pepper
1. In a medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, chives, parsley, tarragon, dill, curry powder and pepper.
2. Fold in tuna. Serve immediately or chill, covered, for up to 6 hours.
4. Plum and Watercress Salad
Griddled or barbecued plums taste fantastic in this vegetarian main course salad.
1 half ciabatta, torn into bitesize pieces
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp honey
4 ripe plums, halved and stoned
1/4 pounds bag Waitrose Watercress, Rocket and Spinach Salad
1/4 pounds cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Toss the ciabatta with 1 tbsp of the oil, season and place on a large baking tray. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden.
2. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining oil, vinegar and honey together, pour over the plums and leave to marinade for 5 minutes.
3. Griddle the plums for 2-3 minutes, turning once, reserving the marinade.
4. Mix together the salad, tomatoes and croutons, toss in the reserved dressing and top with the griddled plums.
For a non-vegetarian alternative, top the salad with 6 slices (1/6 pounds pack) proscuitto crudo, torn.
5.Easy Caprese Pasta Salad
This couldn’t get easier for a lazy summer evening.
1 pound favorite cut pasta
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved (or 2 pints roasted)
1 large ball fresh, salted mozzarella, diced
1/4cup chopped basil
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
7 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar:
salt: to taste
pepper: to taste
1 avocado (peeled and chopped)
1. Put a large pot of salted water on medium-high heat (about 6 quarts of water to 2 tablespoons salt). Bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, rinsing under cold water, and put in a large serving bowl.
2. Add tomatoes, cheese, basil and onion. Gently toss with oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. (Depending on your pasta and whether or not you use juicier roasted tomatoes, you may need to add more oil and vinegar to taste.)
3. Add avocado last. Gently fold the pasta salad a couple of more times to incorporate. Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
Feel free to share with your friends if your like these easy summer dinner recipes. For more easy recipes follow us on the social networks.